· Recognise yourself as a carer, if you think you maybe one then you are!
· Keep a list of contact names and useful phone numbers
· Get yourself registered as a carer at the GP surgery
· Request a Carers Assessment for yourself with Social Services at local Council
· Request a needs assessment for your loved one with Social Services at local Council
· Make sure you are claiming all relevant financial help and benefits
· Make sure your loved one has all appropriate aids to make life easier
· Use pharmacy services such as blister packs, prescription ordering and delivery services
· Find out what support groups may be able to help you
· Don’t suffer in silence and always ask questions
· Keep a diary of symptoms, treatment, contacts, advice
· Recognise when you need outside help. It is not a weakness .
· If you are paying for outside help and it is unacceptable, change it!
· Make sure you have some “me” time away from your loved one